Today I’m very lucky to be interviewing Lori Foster
Lori has been featured as a clue in the New York Times crossword puzzle, and the USA Today “Quick Cross” puzzle.
As well as writing a variety of romances in all lengths for multiple publishers, Lori has a successful urban fantasy series under the name L. L. Foster
- Born and raised in Ohio! I’ve always lived in suburbs, and I love the close neighborhoods and mix of people
Tell us your latest news/ current projects
FIGHTING DIRTY will be out Feb 23rd. That’s the 4th book in the Ultimate series. Armie was a hoot to write. 🙂 I love him!In June I’ll have a new benefit book, A BUCKHORN BACHELOR. By “benefit book,” I mean it’s one of my annual contributions to charity. All advance and all royalties go directly to the no-kill animal shelter, the Animal Adoption Foundation, www.AAFPets.orgI recently finished DON’T TEMPT ME, the first in a duology of trade sized romances, with all new characters and an all new setting. It hits shelves July 26th.
And I’m currently writing UNDER PRESSURE, the first in a new bodyguard series that branches off the Ultimate series, featuring Leese Phelps. That book will be out Nov 29th.I’m also organizing the “Annual Reader and Author’s Get Together,” which runs from June 9th to 12 in West Chester, Ohio. It’s an amazingly fun gathering of readers with 80 or so authors, 2 big book signings, 3 parties, and all meals – for only $50 for readers. Check it out here: http://readerauthorgettogether.com/detailed-schedule/ This is my 12th year doing the event.
When/why did you begin writing
- I first published in Dec 1996 with IMPETUOUS. But to get that point I wrote more than 10 books over a 5 year period. It took me a while to sell that first one, and the rest is history!
What genre are your books?
Contemporary romance. Some have won awards for Romantic comedy, Romantic adventure, and Romantic suspense. But they’re all pure romance in a contemporary setting.As L.L. Foster I’ve written some urban fantasy – scarier, but still with romance
What draws you to this genre?
- I believe in happily ever after, and I like happy endings. The characters can (and should) go through a lot in order to learn about their love and to be truly dedicated to one another. But then I want them to find that magic (and honestly attainable) connection that lasts a lifetime
When did you first, without hesitation call yourself a writer ?
Probably not until my 5th or 6th book. Definitely not before publication. I was slow to want to label myself, maybe because I don’t identify myself as a writer first. I’m a wife, a mother, a sister, a motivator, and then, somewhere after all that, I’m a writer. I love it, but it doesn’t define me and it isn’t responsible for my happiness.
What is the hardest part of the writing process?
- Disappointing readers. I hate when that happens, but of course, on occasion, it does. You can’t please all of the people all the time. A very true statement. But I wish I could. Luckily for me, I have far, FAR more happy readers than those who become disgruntled. lol
Do you have any strange writing habits
- I don’t know that they’re strange but I like to have heavily scented candles burning and I listen to hard rock (loudly) as part of my writing routine. Once I get those two things going, it signals to my muse that it’s time to get going.
How do you think you’ve evolved creatively?
I enjoy more complex stories. And it’s a bit more difficult for me to write younger people, although I’ve always felt old, even when I wasn’t, so that’s not such a stretch.If anything, I’ve learned more about my own process and to trust myself first and foremost
In ten words or less, describe your writing style.
- Fast, fun, sexy, seat-of-my-pants, and comfortably content.
What makes a good story?
- Characters that feel real, like friends you know and later miss. Characters that jump off the page, and a way of sharing a story that makes it visual, as if you see it happening. Or at least, that’s what my readers tell me. 🙂
And truly, I have the very best readers in the entire world!
My website – www.LoriFoster.com – shows my email and all social media content.Overall, I’m super-active on www.Facebook.com/LoriFoster every single day.Many thanks!!!
Thank you very much Lori for taking the time out of your busy schedule to take part in this interview